How can we improve Buffer?

Skip Tool

It would be really handy to have a skip tool - something that can be used to skip the next update without permanently deleting it from your schedule. It could be added into the stream and show up as a block like how posts do, but when the time comes, nothing is sent.

It would also be handy for skipping say the first update of the day if you often start posting really early (I run the social media for a 6:30am breakfast networking meeting and our first tweet is at 6:30am) but want to miss it for whatever reason.

32 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Becky LadleyBecky Ladley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JamesonJameson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love this idea. Right now if I want to drop a bunch of things into my buffer but then move them all down one slot, I need to either add content for the sake of filling a spot, or custom schedule the rest of the posts in my buffer to skip the slot in my schedule I wanted to skip. That is a lot of work and pretty cumbersome. It would be really easy to add a "skip this scheduled time" button in the schedule view of my buffer.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love this idea! When I started my trial, this was one of the hiccups I bumped into when exploring Buffer. I work for a regional university. The head of the university had a message they wanted shared at a certain time, conflicting with my schedule. I don't like to post too often on our page, or else things just get lost.

My workaround was going into my schedule, eliminating the time, then once it passed, I put it back in to resume my schedule. Was fine, but I wouldn't mind an easier way around it.

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I often have to schedule posts that relate to a client's event on that or the next day. "Join me at so and so today..."

I am contracted to schedule a certain amount of posts per week, and that takes care of one of them and overrides the closest "regularly scheduled" post.

The result is that have to create additional content instead of just rescheduling one from the schedule.

• Graham DownsGraham Downs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Patrik - since Becky didn't respond, I'll share how I see it working (because I've also given this a lot of thought).

Firstly, you can manually add a "Skip". When you add a new post, in the drop-down menu next to the "Add to Queue" button, there could be an option for "Skip a Slot".

This adds a special kind of item to the queue, which takes up space, and can be dragged around just like any other. The item says "--- SKIPPED ---" (Okay, use a cool graphic or panel or whatever).

What you might ALSO be able to do then, is to mouse over any post in the queue, and (perhaps on the same spot where you can Edit or Delete) there'd be an option for "Insert Skip Before", which would do exactly what it says - add a Skip item where that item was, and then move that item one slot down. That Skip item then becomes just like any other Skip item, in that you can drag it around or delete it.

But you couldn't do that, nor could you manually add a Skip, if your queue was full.

Make sense? :-)

• Alex NotteAlex Notte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously this should be a feature. The fact that it's not considering that the business account comes in at $50 which is much higher than most of the competition is kind of ridiculous. Its a very simple addition which would of made my and i'm sure many other user's life much easier.

Also the grouping system is bugged to hell.

• Amy MoralesAmy Morales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came over to the Wishlist forum to ask about the same thing! I find that sometimes I post to Facebook natively (like a batch of photos, which I cannot do with Buffer) and I do not want Buffer to upload a scheduled post around that time as well. It'd be nice if I could select the scheduled Buffer post and click "Skip Time Slot," which would move all posts at and beyond that time slot down one spot.

• BufferAdminBuffer (Admin, Buffer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there Becky, thanks so much for sharing this idea with us! Super interesting and I think there have been some times in the past where I may have really enjoyed having this option. :)

If you're up for it, would you be willing to share how you go about skipping updates right now? Would love to hear also any situations where this comes up! Thanks for helping us improve Buffer. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base