How can we improve Buffer?

Automatically post from RSS feed

Would love to be able to have the RSS feed function automatically queue up your articles/blog posts to your social media feed, ideally via a configurable template. (Eg: Post title, shortened URL, hashtag). Functionality would be similar to the Revive Old Post plugin for WP.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

InklyoInklyo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Exploring  ·  BufferAdminBuffer (Admin, Buffer) responded  · 

Hi there everyone! Super grateful for all of the suggestions and encouragement here. I’m updating this status as we’re doing an in-depth research into Feeds to see what next steps would provide the most value and this one is definitely on our radar!

If you’d like to get this working right away, you can connect Buffer and your favorite RSS feed using a tool like Zapier or IFTTT. I know it isn’t ideal to have to use another tool and will keep this idea updated!

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lourdes MestreLourdes Mestre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - this is a much needed feature for Buffer to overtake Hootsuite. It's one reason I would still keep a HS account for our clients. I've used Zapier, but they have not optimized the @handle. Unfortunately when you try to credit anyone using a zap and add their twitter handle, or even set up the zap with an "@" in front of it, the tweet does not go through in that manner. Have not used IFTTT so cannot comment on them. Hopefully the Buffer team can add this soon!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was under the impression this was part of the awesome plan. This is a condition of use for me.

• Scott ClarkScott Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, the problem here is that you cannot do an "unattended" buffer queue until the Opengraph issues are fixed. Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot of image-less tweets and wrong photos on posts. I have to babysit even our manual queue often for this reason.

• Joost SchuurJoost Schuur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatic posting would make me get back to being a paying member. I'm currently using dlvr.it to do some pretty specific keyword filtering on top of RSS feeds, and post automatically (i.e. I don't want to buffer content, because I don't know how many articles it will find a day and want them to go out straight away).

What I like about dlvr.it is they allow keywords filters, by title or content (with a way toggle what to search), let you specify a list of keywords per feed with the usual 'must match'/'must not contain', and even let me replace certain text found in the title or remove it entirely, and then append additional text to the tweet.

Here's the catch: Because I'm filtering a lot for very specific articles, I have a lot of feeds added over at dlvr.it. 45 right now. So the 15 feeds limit would be tough for me to handle.

• BufferAdminBuffer (Admin, Buffer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the comments and for continuing to keep an eye on things here! Unfortunately I don't have much to report on this request, but I'm keen to share some extra context about our feature roadmap.

RSS Feeds is a really interesting one for us; we've been really lucky to get lots of feedback about it (thank you!) and we all believe it is something that we could improve! However, right now are research on Feeds has been paused as we are keen to narrow our focus on Buffer's core features - scheduling, analytics and teams.

I'm really sorry that we haven't made more progress on this, as I know you're all keen to have a more streamlined way to share content!

If you have any other questions about this - don't hesitate to leave a comment. You can also keep an eye on what we are working on in our public Trello board https://trello.com/b/PDIV7XW3/buffer-transparent-product-roadmap

Cheers,
        Mike

• Mike BrownMike Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option for Buffer to automatically pull from the RSS feeds you input and post automatically.

Is this going to become available soon?

Thanks,
        Mike

• Tristan John GriffithsTristan John Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently use RSS feeds to feed our suggested content for certain platforms & then choose which we post which allows for quality control and filtering... :)

• RomasRomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am shocked this is not done already - Just moved from hootsuite to buffer because buffer ads utm tags and hootsuite doesn't - but now I am shocked rss posts can not get posted on-autopilot...

Buffer are you're going to make it soon or should I look for another solution?

IFTTT helps to overcome this but only with one social network - not enough...

• Kanishk Singh RaghavKanishk Singh Raghav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Use IFTTT it can be used for this same purpose it is an amazing software that has recently been integrated with buffer to get the most out of it it is extremely easy to use and is very helpful for automating tasks.
        To use IFTTT go to ift.tt
        To learn more about it go to https://goo.gl/Kjcb1o

• Alice CarbackAlice Carback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I misunderstood the feed feature too. How is this not a thing already? I want my blog posts on my store blog to automatically go out to my accounts. And my new product feed too.

• BluntwunBluntwun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need this so my US readership can get notified about new blog posts while i sleep here in UK!

• Damian WalkerDamian Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful for me. I have a random daily feed that pulls content from a large pool of articles. It's surprisingly popular in terms of likes and shares, despite the same articles being repeated from time to time. Another service provides this for me at the moment, but I'd love to have it as part of my Buffer set up to keep everything together.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base