How can we improve Buffer?

Facebook/LinkedIn Tagging

Right now I can tag a twitter user, but it won't properly reciprocate to Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ (hence they will not be notified that I'm talking about that page or person).

This is stopping us from adopting this more broadly and still go in after and have to tag manually.

632 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rob SandieRob Sandie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Started!  ·  BufferAdminBuffer (Admin, Buffer) responded  · 

Hey everyone!

A brief update on tagging coming your way. :)

We’ve run into a couple of technical hurdles, but have started testing Facebook page-to-page tagging in the Buffer Extension. Right now it is limited to alpha testing, so we haven’t opened it up yet as a public beta just yet.

For more details, head on over to the card on our Public Roadmap: https://trello.com/c/kFiNex0J/24-mentions-for-facebook-pages

We’re bundling this new feature with some other upgrades to the dashboard composer, which we expect will be rolling out closer to the end of Q2 / start of Q3. Sorry about the vagueness, it is a bit of a moving target right now.

Thanks for your stellar patience. :)

Cheers,
    Mike

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DougDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an old thread, but this still seems to be a problem on FB. No easy work around other than editing the posts on FB and manually tagging?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like this too. Is there any update on when this might be possible? Thanks Rachel

• DariaDaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If @mention still does not work on Buffer for linkedIn and Fb posts I simply have to switch to Sprout Social or whatever which already has this functionality deployed. Very sad news :(

• Tina ZayasTina Zayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crucial feature for anyone working on co-branded posts and initiatives. Our workaround is to keep a slot open and manually schedule posts to a custom time through buffer when we don't need to @mention anyone, and schedule posts natively on facebook when we do need to @mention.

That workaround is OK, but things get hairy when we have @mention more than one brand on a given day.

• KiaraKiara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this idea is great! It would save me a lot of time when scheduling posts instead of going to Facebook :)

• SelinaSelina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SproutSocial has this functionality. Just saying — it's possible and your competitors have been doing it.

• Richie ConwayRichie Conway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on the same page. Buffer allows me to plan ahead in order to keep engagement, but when I tag someone or something, I have to go back in and manually edit to add in tags, after it has been posted. This hurts part of the program's benefit of saving time.

• Nate BurgosNate Burgos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted more than once. Since Sprout Social has long accommodated handling of live look-up and insertion of profile handles in Facebook posts (as with Twitter), surprised that Buffer didn’t already have this capability built into their app’s design. Not feeling inclined to push for upgrading to and adopting a paid plan for extended use of Buffer.

To echo other people’s responses, this is a must-do, in order to have other Facebook profiles be notified upon publishing of a post and, at the same time, not waste time doing this workaround: Edit published post for the sake of having live handles to Facebook profiles.

Please resolve, Buffer Team.

• AbiAbi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do people work around this? Should I go into each post after it's published and edit to include a tag? Doesn't seem very efficient - kinda defeats the purpose of using Buffer. Or is there a better way?

• Tina ZayasTina Zayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Asa Sprout Social allows for tagging brands on Facebook so the API must have changed to allow this. This is a crucial feature for any brand that works with sponsors or collaborates with other brand pages for cross promotion. Do you have an update on the status of this feature yet? Thanks!

• Klaudia AmenábarKlaudia Amenábar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other than being able to customize the thumbnail photo & headline/copy, tagging in the description for Facebook and LinkedIn is ESSENTIAL. Please fix this, Buffer!

• Dan KassisDan Kassis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. Let's hope Buffer's influence will move LinkedIn and Facebook to update their APIs.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LinkedIn still doesn't allow tagging through the API. I haven't seen Facebook allow it within their API either as of right now. Sadly, until they add that, Buffer can't integrate it into the product we all love.

Feedback and Knowledge Base