How can we improve Buffer?

Incorporate a pause option for scheduled posts.

Right now, I have to cancel a post in order to pause it. But then I lose the layout of the actual post that I had setup. See example: https://cloudup.com/c8YjEhFDCaM Add a pause option.

402 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Calvin KoepkeCalvin Koepke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Exploring  ·  BufferAdminBuffer (Admin, Buffer) responded  · 

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the amazing suggestions and support here! Definitely can see how valuable it would be to quickly pause your posting schedule without losing your posts or the order that they’re in.

At the moment our recommended method for pausing your schedule is by going to the Schedule tab and then clicking on the day or days that you’d like to pause posting. Then, when you’re ready to resume, just click on the days in your schedule again to re-activate them. (Quick note: this currently only works for posts in your regular queue and won’t affect any posts that were custom scheduled for a specific time.)

I know this workaround isn’t ideal at all and we’re currently exploring a few ways that we can make this easier. Would love to hear any ideas you might have for this or how you’d use a pause feature within Buffer!

Cheers,
    Patrik

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 this idea. This would be hugely helpful around the holidays and (as others have mentioned) important news events. Seems like a "skip this day" (or similar) option/button next to the day (or as a pulldown menu option) would be relatively easy to add.

Hope this gets implemented!

• Brady DyerBrady Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're in the middle of a state of emergency here in Wellington (Earthquake, then Tsunami and now lots of flooding) - the last thing I want is my scheduled posts going out. Would be great to have one button which just pauses everything.

• Dylan RobertsonDylan Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi @Patrik,

Glad to see Buffer is exploring this. As for the recent disaster in Nice, France, I followed your instructions, but still had posts that had a fixed time and date coming through. I had neglected to check them (25 profiles, so a bit tough). We need one button that literally stops any and all posts.

• Dylan RobertsonDylan Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 25 profiles and when a tragic event like the one that just happened in Nice occurs, I would like to be able to just click one button to pause all posting. Would be good to have a pause button with sub-options like "Pause for 24-hours" or "Pause for 72-hours."

We're only going to get more events like this in the future, so we need to be able to immediately pause our posting to avoid being insensitive.

I had to go through the Schedule tabs of 25 profiles and click all days of the week to pause them.

• Andrea DrennenAndrea Drennen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 here as well. I don't want to appear insensitive in times of upheaval or change, or even something as simple as a holiday that falls on a weekday. Adding the ability to suspend a day or pause the entire account would be most helpful.

• @ryanniccolls@ryanniccolls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could solve the pause post idea.
        For example set a post to draft(pause), schedule, post imediately. Etc.

• JenneviereJenneviere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strong +1 here as well: during outages, or during times of Other Important News, I'd love the ability to pause my queue rather than empty it and lose all the work I've done. Would love to see this built.

• SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately needed: A master ON-OFF switch, or GO-PAUSE switch… it's necessary in instances where breaking news or other urgent-in-the-moment events need to put the queue of Buffered posts on hold.

• DavidJGBDavidJGB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Social Crisis, RealTime Marketing, Special Events, Breaking News, Live Conversation with users, Active Listening... All that cannot be interrupted by a scheduled post.

• Keith BradnamKeith Bradnam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I add my support to all of the other commenters backing this idea. I really hope that we never have to deal with an event that would necessitate us to pause all of our scheduled posts, but it seems important to have an option to do so.

• Lynn BrunoLynn Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pause button! Yeah!

Can you please make it so you can pause all, or just some of the accounts you're managing, without having to go into each one? A master dashboard of account schedules, with a pause button for each would be great.

• PaulaPaula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the workaround, very cool. A global one-click "pause" would be ideal though. Sadly it seems needed more and more often

• BrittanyBrittany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a pause button that would allow you to put your scheduled posts on hold in case you have an event that you will be posting throughout the day for. (so you don't cloud up the news feed with a million stories)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+turning off all schedules post in a profile would be useful, I know there is a 'each day' workaround but a simple pause everything in a profile would be handy.

• LaurenLauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now this is my biggest issue with Buffer. We are a media outlet and when there is breaking news it would be much better to hit "pause" on scheduled messages than turn off/delete schedules and then remember to turn them back on.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leo showed how to pause in a Buffer post from 2012.

9.) Pausing your Buffer over the holidays

Got your Buffer stocked up, but want to slow down a bit over the holidays? Here is how to pause it. Simply go to the Buffer web app, and under “Schedule”, click on all green (now blue) days. If it’s all grey, you aren’t posting any updates any more:

https://blog.bufferapp.com/top-hidden-buffer-hacks-features-social-sharing

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base